Firefighters were called to a kitchen fire in an end of terrace house on Friday July the 8th.
On arrival, crews reported the fire was in the kitchen and the whole house was smoke logged.
Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used one hose reel jet to extinguish the fire by 11:42hrs. Firefighters then used a positive pressured fan to clear smoke from the property.
The fire was believed to have started after the hob was accidentally turned on.
A family of four have been made homeless following the blaze. The Red Cross Victim Support unit attended this incident to provide the family with immediate welfare assistance.
Sub Officer David Horton from Waltham Abbey Fire Station said:
“The kitchen is a major flashpoint for fires. More house fires start in the kitchen than any other room so we are urging everyone to make sure that they take care when they’re cooking.
To make sure you stay as safe as possible in the kitchen:
Avoid leaving cooking unattended and never leave children in the kitchen alone
If you have to leave the kitchen to answer the door or send a text, turn off the cooker
Take care if you re wearing loose clothing they can easily catch fire.
Keep tea towels and cloths away from the cooker and hob
Check toasters are clean and placed away from curtains and kitchen rolls
Keep the oven, hob and grill clean and in good working order. A build up of fat and grease can ignite a fire
Take care when cooking with hot oil it sets alight easily. If the oil starts to smoke it s too hot. Turn off the heat and leave it to cool. Ideally cook oven chips but if you are deep fat frying then use a thermostat controlled electric deep fat fryer – they can t overheat
Never try to cook after a night out drinking. It is far better to grab a kebab on the way home than to attempt to cook while intoxicated
“If a fire does break out in your kitchen do not attempt to tackle it yourself. Just get yourself and your family out and call the fire service, we can deal with the fire safely and quickly.
The best advice I can give is make sure that you fit, and regularly test, a smoke alarm. It is the single most important piece of safety equipment in any home. A smoke alarm provides vital warning that a fire has broken out waking sleeping people up and giving everyone time to get safely out.
“If you don’t have a working smoke alarm, call us for a free home fire safety visit on 0300 303 0088.”