A family have been left homeless after a fire at their house in Tiptree.
Crews were called to the home in New Road this morning.
Essex County Fire and Rescue Service’s Assistant Divisional Officer Danny Partridge said:
“The family were at home watching television in their front room when they heard a loud noise coming from the kitchen. When they went to see what it was, they found their kitchen on fire and full of smoke. They called 999 and got out the house, which was excatly the right thing to do.
“Our firefighters quickly dealt with the fire, but the damage caused to the property has made it uninhabitable.
“An investigation will be carried out to establish the cause of the fire, but at this stage we believe it started in the tumble dryer.
“The property did not have a working smoke alarm on the ground floor. The family were very lucky the fire didnt start at night while they were asleep, as it could have had a very different ending.
“We are urging everyone in Essex to make sure they have a working smoke alarm on every level of their home. We carry out home fire safety visits and fit smoke alarms completely FREE of charge. Call us now to book your visit: 0300 303 0088.”
Essex County Fire and Rescue Service also recommends the following tumble dryer safety advice:
•Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions
•Don’t use tumble dryers at night or while unattended
•Clean the filters after each use to ensure they do not become blocked with fluff
•Items should be removed from the dryer immediately after the cycle and shaken loose to assist cooling
•Ensure that the appliance has its own plug socket. Do not overload extension leads. Ensure that no more than 13 amps are in any one plug socket.
Essex County Fire and Rescue Service provide FREE smoke alarms to anyone living in Essex. To arrange a home fire safety visit call us on: 0300 303 0088 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.