Firefighters rescued a man after a fire broke out in his flat at Harrison Court in West Mersea.
Firefighters entered the building just after 11 last night and searched the flat to find the man. They carried him out to safety and gave him oxygen therapy until the Ambulance Service arrived.
Crews had extinguished the fire by 00:07hrs. The kitchen was severely damaged in the fire, and the rest of the flat and communal hallway has suffered smoke damage.
Sub Officer Jonathon Mussett from West Mersea Fire Station said:
“When we arrived at the scene, two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the building to search for the occupant. They located him quickly and carried him outside where we gave him oxygen therapy.
“We also led three neighbours outside to safety while we dealt with the fire. The whole flat and hallway on the first floor were heavily smoke logged.
“Crews used one hose reel jet to extinguish the fire.
“The fire appears to have started in the kitchen, where a chip pan had been left unattended. Incidents like these show how dangerous it can be to leave cooking unattended.”
To make sure you stay as safe as possible in the kitchen:
• Avoid leaving cooking unattended and never leave children in the kitchen alone.
• Take care if you’re wearing loose clothing – they can easily catch fire.
• Keep tea towels and cloths away from the cooker and hob.
• Check toasters are clean and placed away from curtains and kitchen rolls.
• Keep the oven, hob and grill clean and in good working order. A build up of fat and grease can ignite a fire.
• Take care when cooking with hot oil – it sets alight easily. If the oil starts to smoke – it’s too hot. Turn off the heat and leave it to cool. Ideally cook oven chips but if you are deep fat frying then use a thermostat controlled electric deep fat fryer – they can’t overheat.
• Never try to cook after a night out drinking. It is far better to grab a kebab on the way home than to attempt to cook while intoxicated.
The best way to stay safe in the home is to fit and regularly test smoke alarms. If you would like to arrange for a FREE home safety visit, during which smoke alarms will be fitted FREE of charge, then call us on 0300 303 0088 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.