Firefighters were called to a fire in a first floor flat in Stanway, Colchester.
When crews arrived they reported the fire was out but the flat was full of smoke.
Crews ventilated the property and assisted a female suffering with smoke inhalation. The female was left in the care of the Ambulance Service.
Station Manager Danny Partridge said:
“The fire is thought to have been caused by an overloaded socket.
“It is vital not to overload plug sockets. There should not be anymore than 13 amps worth of appliances in one plug socket at one time.