Firefighters were called to a house fire in Kirby Cross.
When crews arrived they reported the rear of the property was on fire and the whole house was filled with smoke.
The fire was extinguished by 16:20hrs.
Crews at the incident reported the fire started in a tumble dryer in a shed at the rear of the property. The fire spread from the shed along the decking to the rear of the house. The shed was destroyed and the house has suffered smoke damage.
Incidents like these show how important it is to take extra care when using tumble dryers.
The Service has issued the following tumble dryer safety advice:
•Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions
•Don’t use tumble dryers at night or while unattended
•Clean the filters regularly to ensure they do not become blocked with fluff
•Items should be removed from the dryer immediately after the cycle and shaken loose to assist cooling
•Not to overload plug sockets. Ensure that no more than 13 amps are in any one plug socket.