A house fire in Colchester is being blamed on the family dog.
The kitchen has been severely damaged, but the rest of the property only has minor smoke damage.
Colchester Station Officer Trevor Watson has told Radio Essex:
“The fire is thought to have started accidently when their dog had jumped up at their cooker and turned the cooker on.
“The family had been decorating their kitchen and had put a paint tin and a box on top of their cooker. When the hob heated up these items caught alight and caused the fire.”
“Luckily, the family were alerted to the fire by their working smoke alarm. Incident like this show how important it is to having working smoke alarms in your home.”