Firefighters were called to a chimney fire in a house on Regent Road in Epping.At this time of the year it is important to make sure you know our chimney fire safety advice:
•Have your chimney swept at least once a year, or more frequently if you burn wood.
•Do not stack fires too high and remember to let them burn down well before you go to bed.
•Use a fire or spark guard.
•Do not place objects on or over the mantle-piece which may cause you to stand too close to the fire to reach or use them.
•Inspect your chimney regularly – particularly in the roof space – to ensure that it is sound and that sparks or fumes cannot escape through cracks or broken bricks.
•Avoid burning resinous woods as soot builds up quickly. Suitable seasoned timber must be used in all solid fuel stoves.
•Buy only suitable fuels. Using the wrong type of fuel on a liner will reduce the life of the liner considerably due to increased corrosion.