Firefighters extinguished a fire in semi-detached chalet-style house on Mill Road in Billericay yesterday morning.
When crews arrived they found the bedroom on the ground floor was on fire.
Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus immediately entered the property and had extinguished the fire by 11:40am.
Crews rescued a 20 year old cat called Holly and rabbit from the property. Crews brought them outside into the fresh air for safety.
The occupant, a 70 year old woman, suffered smoke inhalation and was left in the care of the Ambulance Service.
The incident has been recorded as accidental, the cause of the fire is thought to be an electrical fault.