A new campaign has launched in Essex to highlight the steps residents can take to keep them fit and healthy.
Five Ways to Well Being shares five methods that are proven to keep an individual well, both physically and mentally.
Each will launch separately over the year as part of the County Council’s pledge to get people doing more exercise and learning new skills to give a sense of achievement and more confidence.
The five methods are:
- Be Active – this is all about promoting keeping active and healthy. It is about showing that you don’t have to go to the gym but things like taking a walk, cycling or even gardening can have benefits to your health.
- Take Notice – this is about being be more aware of the present moment, including thoughts and feelings, your body and the world around you. Some people call this awareness “mindfulness”.
- Keep Learning – learning new skills can give you a sense of achievement and a new confidence. So why not sign up for that cooking course, start learning to play a musical instrument, or figure out how to fix your bike?
- Give – show that even the smallest act can count. Whether it’s a smile, a thank you or a kind word. Larger acts, such as volunteering at your local community centre, can improve your mental wellbeing and help you build new social networks.
- Connect – this means connecting with people around you, your family, friends, colleagues and neighbours and spend time developing these relationships.