Four pets have died in a house fire in Brightlingsea.
Crews were called to the blaze in the kitchen of the home on Eastern Road on Wednesday night – it’s thought it was caused by cooking which was left unattended.
Two cats and two rabbits were killed.
The house has suffered some smoke and fire damage.
More than half of accidental fires at home are started by cooking – follow Essex County Fire & Rescue Service`s cooking safety advice to stay safe in your kitchen.
•Avoid leaving children in the kitchen alone when cooking on the hob. Keep matches and saucepan handles out of their reach to keep them safe.
•Make sure saucepan handles don’t stick out – so they don’t get knocked off the stove.
•Take care if you’re wearing loose clothing – this can easily catch fire.
•Keep tea towels and cloths away from the cooker and hob.
•Double check the cooker is off when you’ve finished cooking.
•Take care if you need to leave the kitchen whilst cooking, take pans off the heat or turn them down to avoid risk.
•Keep electrics (leads and appliances) away from water.
•Check toasters are clean and placed away from curtains and kitchen rolls.
•Keep the oven, hob and grill clean and in good working order. A build-up of fat and grease can ignite a fire.
The best way to stay safe in the home is to fit and regularly test smoke alarms. If you would like to arrange for a FREE home safety visit, during which smoke alarms will be fitted FREE of charge, then call us on 0300 303 0088 or visit www.essex-fire.gov.uk/book