The hot weather’s prompted Essex Fire Service to issue a warning after a blaze in a field in Colchester.
Crews were called to Mersea Road yesterday where around seven hectares were alight.
The smoke affected the Australian Estate area and people were advised to keep their doors and windows closed.
The cause of the fire has been recorded as accidental.
The Fire Service safety advice is as follows:
Avoid open fires in the countryside. Always have them in safe, designated areas
Put out cigarettes and other smoking materials properly before you leave your vehicle
Don’t leave bottles or glass in woodlands. Sunlight shining through glass can start a fire. Take them home or put them in a waste or recycling bin
If you see a fire in the countryside, report it immediately.
Don’t attempt to tackle fires that can’t be put out with a bucket of water – leave the area as soon as possible
Never throw cigarette ends out of car windows – they could start a fire and endanger lives.