Firefighters were called to a house fire in Braintree in the early hours of today.
On arrival the incident commander reported that the fire was on the first floor of a semi-detached house. Wearing breathing apparatus and using a hose reel jet crews had extinguished the fire by 01:07hrs.
They stayed at the scene clearing smoke from the property with a positive pressure ventilation fan and ensuring no hot-spots remained. Crews had completed their work by 01:48hrs.
Station Officer Steve Wintrip, Braintree Fire Station, said: “A family of four were rendered homeless at this incident but thankfully no injuries were sustained during their escape. The incident was believed to have been caused accidentally by a remote controlled car battery that was charging. The house did have working smoke alarms which helped to raise the alarm.”