Dog owners are being alerted to a deadly tick-borne disease that has occurred
in the UK for the first time.
According to reports, one dog has died and several have been taken seriously
ill after contracting babesiosis, caused by a parasite carried in the ticks.
The outbreak has been traced to an area of Harlow, where vets are
concerned the disease could become established among ticks on the site.
In a warning to dog walkers, Harlow Council said; “The ticks concerned are
extremely rare in Britain and this is the first time that babesia has been
found in the tick in the UK.
“It is important that dog owners have their pets protected with anti-tick
treatment and regularly check their dogs for ticks. Further advice is
available from local vets.”