Firefighters were called to a fire in a second floor flat which had been causes by an unattended candle.
Crews used one hose reel jet to extinguish the fire by 13:58hrs. The property did not have a working smoke alarm.
Colchester Station Officer Craig Todd said:
“Incidents like these show how important it is to take extra care when using candles and also the importance of working smoke alarms. The resident was very lucky to have escaped the property, as they did not have a working smoke alarm.
“It is vital that all homes have a properly fitted and working smoke alarm. Smoke alarms are without doubt the most important piece of equipment in any home, they sound at the first sign of fire giving everyone a chance to get out and call the fire service.
They are proven life savers but it is vital to make sure that they are in full working order, a non-functioning smoke detector will not provide any warning at all.
“It is also important candles are not left unattended. They should also be secured in a proper holder and are away from materials that may catch fire like curtains.”
To arrange a FREE home fire safety visit call 0300 303 0088.