Firefighters were called to a house fire last night in Whiteshot Way, Saffron Walden.
Crews managed to rescue a cat from the property, but sadly a second cat died from smoke inhalation.
The ground floor of the semi-detached house has been left badly damaged following the fire which is thought to have started in the living room by a candle left unattended.
Firefighters had extinguished the fire by 21:30hrs.
Station Office Paul Curtis said:
“When we arrived at the house, the ground floor living room was well alight, and the whole property was completely filled with smoke. The damaged to the property is extensive and has made it uninhabitable.
“There was no working smoke alarm in this property. We want to urge everyone to make sure they have a working smoke alarm on every level of their home.
Essex County Fire and Rescue will fit smoke alarms FREE of charge to anyone living in Essex. Contact us now to arrange a home fire safety visit, call 0300 303 0088 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Incident like these also show how important it is to take extra care when using candles. Follow our candles safety tips to make sure you stay fire safe:
•Make sure candles are secured in a proper holder and are away from materials that may catch fire
•Children and pets should not be left alone with lit candles
•Put candles out when you leave the room, and make sure they’re put out completely at night