Firefighters were called to a fire in a first floor flat above a wedding dress shop in Osborne Street, Colchester.
When crews arrived they reported the flat was 25 percent on fire and completely full of smoke. Smoke had also spread to several neighbouring flats and the shop below. Crews managed to extinguish the fire quickly and stop it spreading to surrounding properties.
The wedding dress shop below suffered slight water and smoke damage. At the request of the shops owners, crews managed to quickly retrieve two wedding dresses which were due to be pick up by brides this week.
The occupants were alerted to the fire thanks to their working smoke alarm. The fire appears to have started in the bedroom by a electrical heater.
The Ambulance Service attended to treat the two occupants who suffered slight smoke inhalation.