An unattended candle has caused a fire in a block of flats in Basildon.
On arrival firefighters reported that the flat was 100% smoke logged. Crews rescued two dogs and extinguished the fire by 6.41am on Saturday. A baby, who was suffering from smoke inhalation, was left in the care of the Ambulance Service.
Station Officer Midwood said:
“When the homeowner called to report the fire he was very distressed because his dogs were still in the property. Our control team reassured him that we were on our way and that he needed to get out and stay out of the property.
“We established that the cause of the fire was a candle that had been burning in the living room throughout the night. We do see a rise in these types of fires over the Christmas period and we urge people to take extra care at home to stay safe.”
Also two dogs have had to be rescued and a woman has been left in the care of the Ambulance Service because of a house fire caused by a candle.
On arrival firefighters reported that the house was 100% smoke logged and worked quickly to extinguish the fire by 9:32am on Saturday.
This was the second fire crews attended in the same day that was caused by a candle.
Below is safety advice from Essex County Fire & Rescue Service;
“Whether you’re using your candles to scent and decorate or as a religious symbol, these popular home accessories can be a real fire risk. Follow our top tips so you can enjoy candles safely.
- Make sure candles are secured in a proper holder and are away from materials that may catch fire – like curtains.
- Children should not be left alone with lit candles.
- Put candles out when you leave the room, and make sure they’re put out completely at night.
- Keep the wax pool clear of wick trimmings, matches and debris at all times.
- Burn candles in a well-ventilated room, but avoid drafts, vents or air currents. This will help prevent rapid or uneven burning, sooting, and excessive dripping.
- Trim the wick to ¼ inch each time before burning. Long or crooked wicks can cause uneven burning, dripping or flaring.
- Don’t move candles once they are lit.
- Follow the manufacturer’s recommendations on burn time and proper use.
- Do not burn several candles close together as this might cause flaring (mainly with tealights).
- Use a snuffer or a spoon to put out candles. It’s safer than blowing them out when sparks can fly.”