Southend Borough Council’s looking for views on how it licenses sexual entertainment venues.
The authority’s created a new policy to manage strip clubs and sex shops – in line with demands to maintain public safety.
Some of the key changes to the policy include:
• Clearer detail on the legislation taken into account when determining an application (section 7)
• Information on licensing requirements and definitions of matters within the Act (8)
• New sections on general principles (9) and making an application (12). These include details of the Licensing Authority’s expectations of an applicant.
• A new proposal to limit the number of licences permitted within the borough (10.1)
• Detail of what will be taken into account when deciding an application, including the character of the local area (10.2), the use of premises in the area (10.3), and the layout, character and condition of the premises (10.4)
• A clear direction to applicants on the effect of failing to renew a licence in a timely manner (17)
• Revised conditions, split into type of premises applied for, rather than the previous ‘general conditions’, which would normally be added to a licence upon it being granted (appendix to the policy)
The proposed policy and questionnaire can be found at: www.southend.gov.uk/sev