A family of four’s been left homeless after a fire destroyed their flat in Clacton.
Crews were called to the apartment on Melbourne Road yesterday.
The cause of the blaze was clothes that’d ignited near a hob left unattended.
Go to our website for cooking safety advice.
Essex Fire & Rescue Service says the incident shows how quickly kitchen fires can develop – and has issued the advice below to keep your family safe when cooking:
Never leave cooking unattended. If you need to leave the room, turn the heat down or move the pan away completely.
Keep materials including tea towels and cloths well away from where you’re cooking.
Loose clothing can also catch fire – be careful.
Take care when cooking with hot oil – it sets alight easily.
Make sure food is dry before putting it in hot oil so it doesn’t splash.
If the oil starts to smoke, it’s too hot. Turn off the heat and leave it to cool.
If your pan catches fire, turn off the heat if it is safe to do so. Never throw water over it.